Proof of ID and address document checklist

We have a legal obligation to check proof of ID and Proof of Address for all UK and non-UK customers who use our address services. This is to ensure we comply with Anti-Money Laundering (AML) regulations and Know Your Customer (KYC) requirements.

In this article:

To activate your service:

Your service can not be activated until all ID and Proof of Address documents has been verified You will need to scan the necessary documents to:

If you do not have documents at the time or are waiting to get documents certified or notarised, you can still continue signing up - but we must receive the documents within 10 days of initial payment.

Please note: Your account will not be active until we receive and successfully verify your documents. Therefore, you should not start to use your service until you receive confirmation that your account has been activated.

Any mail received before the account has been activated, cannot be processed and will have to be returned to sender.

What documents we accept

You must provide one of each of the following from the proof of ID and proof of residential address document list.

Proof of ID (one of the following):
  • Valid International Passport (not expired)
  • Driving Licence (with photocard)
  • National Identity card
Proof of Residential Address (one of the following):
  • Utility Bill (Gas, Electric or Water)
  • Telephone bill (Mobile phone bills are not accepted)
  • Insurance Letter (Motor, Home or Life)
  • Mortgage Statement
  • Council Tax Bill
  • Bank/ Building Society Statement (includes Credit Card Statement)
  • TV Licence
  • HM Revenue and Customs Letter/Notice of Coding
  • Letter from Benefits Agency
  • Financial Statement (e.g Pension/ Endowment)
  • Polling card

The Proof of Residential Address document must:

  1. Be dated within the last 3 months
  2. Show the account holder/company officer’s name and address
  3. Be written in English or accompanied by an English translation (by an Official Sworn Translator)
  4. Be a document that has been sent via post and not an online statement/ document

Check whether your documents will need to be notarised or certified

UK and EU residents

Both the proof of ID and proof of residential address documents must be certified in your country of residence and be accompanied by the relevant official stamp and signature from the certified person.

Non-UK and Non-EU residents

If you live outside both the UK and EU, your proof of ID and proof of residential address documents must be notarised by a Public Notary in your country of residence and accompanied by the relevant official stamp and signature from the notarised person. 

Find a Public Notary in the UK
Find a Public Notary in the EU

Who can certify documents?

The following professional person or authority can certify documents:

  • Made Simple (You must come to our office with original documents**)
  • Post Office
  • Bank or Building Society Official
  • Chartered Accountant
  • Solicitor/ Lawyer or Notary
  • Local Town Hall

The following persons cannot certify documents:

  • Yourself
  • Those related to you 
  • Living at the same address
  • In a relationship with you
  • Working for the same firm, i.e. colleague or partner
  • Be retired
  • Resident of / operating in a different country

** You cannot bring ID and/ or Proof of address for any other person other than yourself. In other words, the person to whom the document belongs must be present in order for us to certify them.

What should a certified document look like?

You will need to take the photocopied document and the original and ask the professional person or authority to certify the copy by:

  1. Writing: "Certified to be a true copy of the original seen by me" on the document
  2. Signing and dating the document
  3. Printing their name under the signature
  4. Adding their occupation, address and telephone number
  5. Stamp the document with their personal or professional stamp

Please Note: The certification must be present on the actual document to be validated successfully. It must be on both the proof of ID and proof of residential address. Please see the image below for a visual representation.

Failure to send the necessary documents

ID and address documents must be received within 10 days. Failure to send acceptable ID will result in your service being terminated. Your service will only be reactivated once the ID documents have been received and checked.


Does my passport/driving licence count as both proof of ID and proof of residential address?
No, these must be separate. The passport or driving licence counts as just the proof of ID and not proof of residential address. Therefore, you must supply the proof of residential address document separately, i.e., a bank statement.

Can I supply proof of my company address?
To ensure we comply with AML regulations, we can only accept proof of residential address documents, i.e, you must live at the address.

Do both documents need certifying or just one?
Both the proof of ID and proof of residential address must follow our guidelines. See what should a certified document look like.

Can I email my documents first to check whether it will be accepted?
Yes, if you send your documents to we will let you know whether it would be accepted or not.

How often would I need to provide ID documents?
We are legally obliged to conduct ongoing compliance checks to ensure that all identity information are correct and up to date. Therefore, you will be required to provide new documents, for example, when your passport has expired, residential address has changed, or if the documents on file are older than 3 years.

Still need help? Contact Us Contact Us